Career Mentor Link gives you the opportunity to become involved with one of the best universities in the country.
In addition to assisting and networking with high-calibre students, you will be able to work on your own skills in leadership, communication and coaching.
Career Mentor Link is not a work experience program, but a career mentoring program. The focus is on helping a student develop the skills they need to manage their career, rather than on-the-job training.
By participating in Career Mentor Link you are likely to:
- obtain personal satisfaction from making a difference to the career development of another person
- enhance your people skills in areas such as leadership, interpersonal skills and communication
- increase your professional networks
- hear fresh perspectives from future members of your profession
- increase your profile and the profile of your organisation among University students and staff
What makes a good mentor?
An effective mentor has the following characteristics:
- desire to share information, expertise and experience and to act as a resource
- ability to recognise and encourage the mentee's potential
- willingness to invest time and effort in the mentoring relationship and fulfil the agreed commitments
- ability to give and receive constructive and honest feedback
- commitment to assisting the mentee in their decision-making processes by listening, sharing and reviewing options
- willingness to facilitate networking opportunities through professional contacts.
The program is open to industry professionals who preferably have a minimum of four years in the workforce. If you are interested please contact Ryan Whiddett. Menteer registration is currently unavailable as the system is prepared for the 2018 program.
The best thing about the program was being given the opportunity to meet a student in my field of experience, and listen to their aspirations.